Things to be Thankful For in 2018
Our list of things to be thankful for has been harder to compile this year, for some reason. I mean let’s face it, 2018 has been a shitshow. But, as with most things in life, after a couple strong drinks you can find something good if you look hard enough. Yes, even in a year as fraught with attacks on women’s rights, the environment, and the general future of our society, there were good things that happened. For women. No, really! We promise!
So in the spirit of the holiday, We (Annette and Lisa), had a few drinks and sat down together and put together this uplifting list of all of the awesome things we are grateful for in 2018.
Here they are:
16 things to drink to in 2018
- #Houston19: In Harris County, Texas, the third largest in the country, 19 black women won their races for various judicial seats. It was a record for the county, and means that the local judiciary will be more representative of their county, which is one of the most diverse in the US.
- Women Firsts: Thirteen women made history by getting elected to office, including the youngest woman, the first lesbian, the first Native American, the first Palestinian-American, the first Somali-American, the first female Governors of Maine and Iowa, the first Congresswoman from Iowa, the first black women in Connecticut and Massachusetts, the first Latinas from Texas, and the first female Senator from Tennessee.
- Tammy Duckworth: Tammy Duckworth became the first US Senator to give birth while in office.
- So far, we haven’t died in a fiery, nuclear Armageddon.
- Saudi Arabia: The world’s only complete ban on women’s drivers ended in Saudi Arabia.
- Ireland: Voted to end the country’s ban on abortion, giving a big Fuck You to Catholic conservatism.
- #MeToo: 201 men lost their jobs or major roles as a result of women calling out their abusers. 54 of those jobs or roles were replaced by women, including the main character of Emmy award-winning Netflix drama, House of Cards.
- Kavanaugh provided us with some surprising new interview strategies that we will be using should either of us need a new job in the future.
- Women can still vote!
- So far, we still have health insurance.
- Travel: We (Annette and Lisa) traveled to at least 20 cool places, and several of them we even got to experience together!
- After discovering lumps in her breasts in June, Annette found out her boobs aren’t trying to kill her yet.
- Girlfriends: We are so damned thankful for each other! There’s nothing as valuable as the lifelong friendship we have enjoyed together.
- Flying: Annette battled her anxiety and went hang gliding for the first time.
- She Explores Life: Together, we created an incredible space for women to share their stories. And, with the help of a lot of talented women, we are building a community.
- So far, we haven’t died in a fiery, nuclear Armageddon
—Annette & Lisa