Life is an Adventure. Find Yours in 2019.
December 31, 2018
Forget resolutions. 8 Ways to Maximize Your Adventure in 2019.
Well, 2018, we wish we could say we’d miss you. But, we won’t. Actually, we’re pretty glad to see you go. You’ve been a tough year, 2018. At times, you’ve even bordered on abusive. We tried to overlook your sneers and slights, your small injuries and great pains; we tried to grin and bear it. But it has become more and more difficult as you matured. Now, even our friends and families are telling us to let you go. Clearly, you’ve overstayed your welcome, and now we are looking forward to your replacement: 2019.
In an effort to start off our relationship with 2019 on a more positive note, we have developed a list of adventures, small and large, that will help us enjoy the year. Now, these aren’t resolutions – we don’t need these things to become better people, and we are NOT going to chastise ourselves if we don’t make them happen. 2018 made us feel bad enough about ourselves, and we are done with that sort of self-castigation. Nope, no resolutions for us this year. If 2018 taught us anything, it’s that we (women) are not the problem. (Though, maybe how we let ourselves be treated is part of it.)
We need a new set of priorities. A new worldview. We need to spend less time focusing on ourselves, and what we think is “wrong” with us. We’re fine, ladies. We need to spend more time focusing on the world around us, and how to maximize our time in it. As a step in that direction, we offer you this list of adventure ideas and other non-resolutions for 2019.
8 Ways to Find Adventure in 2019
- Go someplace new: Exploration is good for the soul. Travel to a town, a park, a city, a country – someplace, anyplace, you’ve never been before. Like Indiana. If you’re not sure where to go, pick a place at random. It doesn’t need to be far away. It just needs to be new to be an adventure.
- Get out of your comfort zone: Make yourself do something that is difficult for you. Self-conscious? Try skinny dipping. Afraid of heights? Try hang gliding. Spend a lot of time worrying about food-borne illness? Go out for sushi. Familiarity breeds contempt, and that is so 2018. Challenging yourself in 2019 will make you stronger, braver, and more resilient. Doesn’t that sound better than contemptuous?
- Make a new friend: Sometimes our adventures are limited by who is available to go with us. In 2019, don’t let your friends set your limits. Thanks to the internet, there are loads of ways to meet new people with similar interests. Try a meetup group, or attend a retreat with like-minded women.
- Explore your own sexuality: Don’t freak out, ladies, I’m not saying you should jump to the other side of the fence (unless, of course, you want to). There are lots of ways to explore our sexuality, even in a monogamous, heterosexual relationship. Exploring what arouses you, and sharing it with your sexual partner(s), will greatly improve your sex life, which will improve the rest of your life. And, getting there will be a guaranteed adventure
- Find adventure in love:If dating is getting old, or you are fresh out of a relationship, find a way to make meeting someone new an adventure. Don’t be in a hurry, why settle down for the main course, when you still have time to explore the buffet.
- Spend some time alone: We know it’s scary to travel solo, but don’t let that stop you! If you’ve had trouble finding a travel buddy in the past, be your own in 2019. It might just be your best adventure yet.
- Get in touch with nature: Make a commitment to spending more time outside this year. Being in nature reduces stress and lowers anxiety. It also helps you feel more connected to the world around you. Bonus: you just might get fit.
- Give networking a try: Whether you want to increase your business contacts or expand your circle of hobby enthusiasts, networking will increase your opportunities for connection. And connecting with the right people can be an exhilarating adventure. Attend a conference or seminar in 2019 to find your tribe.
Here’s wishing you an adventurous 2019. Happy New Years!